Using a grease gun for the first time may seem a little messy, but once you start using it, it will become quite easy. Your machinery needs grease to operate efficiently. Without greases, it is pretty painful for repairing work.
A grease gun lubricates your machinery parts properly. Without knowing how to use a grease gun, you can neither lubricate your machinery parts nor improve their efficiency. It will help you to understand how grease guns work.
Relax, we are not going to talk about some complex processes that you will need much time to understand. On top of that, we will provide some simple, uncomplicated, and beneficial tips for capturing an optimal performance from your grease gun.
How do you use a grease gun for the first time?
First, make sure you know what kind of grease gun you hold. There are some auto grease guns, while others work manually. But they have a similar mechanism. There are four types of grease guns:
This type of grease is one of the most popular that works automatically. To receive sufficient pressure in your grease gun, the lever should be tugged properly so that the grease comes out effortlessly through the nozzle.
You can use this type of grease gun without cord. They are mainly battery-powered grease gun that requires charge before using it.
3. Pistol Grip Grease Gun
Though pistol grip grease guns are like lever type, they have an additional pistol grip to hold it firmly and pump the grease out.
It is one of the highest standard professional grease guns used, especially in large companies. This type of grease gun doesn’t require any physical necessity of pumping. It is one of the USA-made grease guns.
But they are highly expensive. No matter which type of grease gun you use, it won’t take much time to understand it and use it. We are moving forward, step by step, to know how to use it easily.
Loading the Grease Gun
It is important to know how to load a grease gun without a cartridge or with the cartridge so that you can use it properly.
- At first, the gun should behold firmly when you remove the cap from its barrel. You must go through until you touch the rod handle.
- Then lock the rod handle by pulling it. Now you will notice the place where the grease is saved inside the tube. It is known as a cartridge.
- Put the cartridge into the barrel after refilling the cartridge with grease. It is better to clean the tube after withdrawing the old cartridge. Make sure that you must push the cartridge properly so that the rim contact with the gun.
- Next, you need to keep the barrel slightly loose when you reinstall it. Now, release the rod handle by turning it out from the end cap. Make sure to give enough pressure so that the grease can come out quickly through the tube. Hence, the rod handle needs to be depressed. When you press down the holder of the gun, the grease will come out at the front surface of the gun.
- You can test the grease gun by pumping a tiny quantity of grease through the nozzle. Make sure to clean the grease that came out while testing before reattaching the nozzle.
- Now, it is time to shut the head that you opened previously. Force out the air by pushing down the air bleeder. You will notice a stable pressure once the air is released. Make sure to locate the gun coupler at the end of the hose to grease the correct spot you want.
- At last, try to put grease on your machinery by pumping the lever handle properly. Is your grease gun not working smoothly even after following all the steps? Then you should check whether you have skipped any step.
How to Apply the Grease?
Your task is already half-completed once you applied grease correctly on a specific spot. First, you need to set a target on where you will put the grease. Because it is better not to apply grease to all the machinery parts except the targeted areas. It will boost your efficiency in using the grease.
Make sure to check whether your grease is working correctly or not. When your grease gun works smoothly, you can operate your machine efficiently. You can easily grease the targeted locations by attaching the tube to the gun’s head if the places are not hard to reach.
The long hose will help you to reach hard spots easily. You must have an idea of how much grease you need to apply to a targeted location and give pressure as per the requirement. Now, tug the lever or trigger handle after providing an adequate amount of pressure.
Moreover, you can grease inside the machine using a gun’s piston at the end of the gun barrel. Most of the professionals in garages and workshops use air-filled grease guns since they are easy to use. Plus, the greasing session becomes smoother and steadier when you use both the hose and compressed air.
On the other hand, if you use a battery-functioning grease gun, you need to make sure your gun has enough charge to operate smoothly, and at the same time, you should be attentive enough about maintaining the time to flow a specified amount of grease.
Grease Gun Tips for Easy Maintenance
You may face some problems while operating your grease guns. Here are some excellent grease gun tips that are recommended by our experts.
Tip – 1: Clean Fitting
Make sure the fitting is completely clean. You can take suggestions from experts on how much grease you need to apply to your wheel bearings.
Tip – 2: Don’t Mix Up
Don’t make the mistake of combining your old grease with the new grease. Different lubricants are compatible with different grease guns. So, make sure to clean your old grease thoroughly before loading the new grease.
Tip – 3: Don’t Tight Too Much
Avoid tightening the grease gun’s head excessively. Because it may destroy bearing shields and leads to function failure.
Tip – 4: Double-check the Fitting First
Before using the grease gun, you should double-check the fitting fast. It will help you to know whether it is damaged or remained in good condition.
Tip – 5: Clean the Gun After Every Use
Make sure to clean your grease gun after every use to sustain its lifespan. Plus, you will have a trouble-free experience while using the gun next time.
Tip – 6: Flammable Lubricants
Many lubricants are flammable, and they are prone to fire. So, if you have any flammable lubricant, you must keep away yourself and your machinery from fire while working.
Lubricating is an essential job for your machinery. Because you can’t expect them to work unless you provide grease inside the moving parts from time to time. It also increases the lifespan of your vehicles.
A grease gun is an important tool that you will see in most automobile shops. It is crucial to know how to use a grease gun to pour the lubricant into your machinery correctly and efficiently. It will improve your skill, accuracy, and efficiency in using grease guns.
Hopefully, now you have a clear view to use your grease gun properly. And, we are also sure that you won’t find any difficulty while operating your grease gun. So pick the best grease gun based on your needs and start using it.
Antone Beaver is a DIY expert. He has a keen interest in tools and DIY projects around the house. He is always willing to provide you with the best solution for your home. He has 11 years of experience in the DIY sector. His highlighted skills in the DIY industry are: 1. Caulking 2. Drilling 3. Painting 4. Nailing 5. Measuring